When Jerry Pickman first introduced the concept of the On Griffon’s Wings Initiative, I immediately thought of the CEO of my former employer, American National Bank, Mr. Jerry Sprong.

My banking career began in 1981 as a customer service representative at First Trust Bank, a job I took out of necessity while pursuing an accounting degree. In the spring of 1981, after completing my junior year, I discovered I was expecting my first child and subsequently got married. My husband and I decided that he would continue his studies at night while we both worked full-time jobs.

By 1983, my husband had earned his accounting degree, and we had welcomed our second daughter. I had resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn’t be able to complete my degree due to time and financial constraints. I continued my job at the bank, which soon transitioned to the Belt American Bank, part of the American National Bank group led by Mr. Sprong.

I knew Mr. Sprong from my childhood when he coached my brother’s little league team, but our paths didn’t cross much at the bank until 1987 when I was transferred to the real estate department. One day, his administrative assistant called and said, “Mr. Sprong would like to see you.” Nervous, I asked my supervisor, who mentioned she had recommended me for a promotion.

In his office, Mr. Sprong, holding my resume, asked, “Why haven’t you finished your college degree?” I explained my situation, and to my surprise, he offered the bank’s support. He promised that if I committed to completing my degree, the bank would cover the costs of my classes and books, and allow me an extended lunch for daytime classes. I took up his offer and managed to complete my business degree from Missouri Western in 1989.

During this period, I was promoted to Assistant Vice President of Residential Lending. This support transformed my job into a career, eventually leading me to open my mortgage loan office in January 2000, which remains one of the top lenders in the city of St. Joseph.

Without Mr. Sprong’s support, I wouldn’t have achieved the success and quality of life I’ve enjoyed with my family over the past 30-plus years. He didn’t just help me; he supported numerous bank employees and others in their educational pursuits. His passion for education was evident in the opportunities he provided.

I am forever grateful to Mr. Sprong and proud to honor him through MWSU’s On Griffon’s Wings program.

Jennifer and Jerry